Marshall's Pen Estate dates back some two hundred years to the first Provost General of Jamaica and it also was once a cattle property, which explains the name.
In 1755, the property was purchased by the Earl of Balcarres who was then Governor of Jamaica. The grounds was used for primarily coffee around this time and the Great House still has its Coffee Factory which has been converted into a guest house and the coffee storage house has been converted into a quiet cottage.
It changed owners a few times and stopped producing coffee in 1838 when coffee came under stiff competition from Brazilian coffee.
The Sutton family have been the owners of the Great House since 1939.